Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Mexican Lasagne!

I made this up this evening for dinner. I had some SORJ bread to use up before it went stale and I purchased a BBQ chicken last night at Woolies on discount, so didn't want that to go to waste. I also had pumpkin that had to be used up and some grated cheese. So,I thought about what I could do and came up with a Mexican Lasagne. The best thing about this recipe, is you really add whatever you want. You can add some of your food storage items like kidney beans, or frozen veges, or any kind of mince. Basically whatever your heart desires...or whatever you need to use up!!!
I seem to be on this multicultral theme lately. I never thought I would cross Mexican and Italian, and I suppose I haven't really, but the ideas are there!

Mexican Lasagne

2-4 sheets of Sorj(anything like this) bread

1 BBQ chicken flesh take off and chopped up

1.5 jars of salsa (250g size)

pumpkin thinly sliced and cooked until tender

1/2 cup frozen peas

1 1/2 cup grated cheese


Method

1. Spray glass baking dish with oil spray and preheat oven to 180C



2. Put one piece of Sorj/lavash bread down and spread some salsa over the bread and layer some pumpkin.



3. In a bowl mix together chicken, peas, and 3/4 cup of cheese and rest of the first jar of salsa and add mixture on top of pumpkin.



5. Repeat pumpkin, chicken and then spread rest of cheese and salsa over the top.



6. Place in oven for 15 mins or until cheese is melted and browned.



Serve with dollop of sour cream and some salad.



Its a super healthy meal, and of all things, my kids loved it!!

TIPS: The Sorj bread or any type of lavash style bread can be put in the freezer for later use. The ingredients I have used are a guide only. Use what you and your family would like.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...