Monday, July 4, 2011

Slow Cooker Cheesey Peasy Risotto

I love risotto! I have developed this love for risotto for the past 5 or so years. I used to order risotto thinking it was going to taste amazing but it was always bland. I think back on those occasions and I wonder now it they used stock to make it or plain water? Whatever was used, it was disappointing. Now that I have tasted good risotto and learnt how to make good risotto, I love it!! The only problem is, if you want to make it, you really have to be in the mood. Why? It takes a long time to make and a lot of patience as you stand over the saucepan, stirring, and stirring, and stirring. Since I am cooking for 4 kids and 2 adults, I make a large amount so, it naturally takes me even longer. I did discover Donna Hays recipe for oven baked risotto, which wasn't too bad, but the real excitement hit when I discovered I could make risotto in the slow cooker!! I actually made a casserole once and added brown rice to it to see what would happen. It was delish of course and this made me think, can I do a risotto? I didn't experiement with it, I was too scared!! But as soon as I heard you can do it in the slow cooker I was in heaven!!! With no recipe or directions, I decided to just do what I thought would make sense. Here is the recipe:

Ingredients
300g bacon diced
1 tsp minced garlic ( I use jar type)
2 cups arborio rice
1/2 cup of parmesan grated or shredded
1 cup frozen peas
4-6 cups of chicken stock ( I use Massel chicken stock powder and make up with water)

** I say 4-6 as I can't remeber how much I used;p As long as the rice is covered generously you should be fine**

Method
1. Heat frying pan on high and add bacon (add oil if you like) and cook through until browned.
2. Lower heat a little and add garlic and stir through.
3. Add rice and stir through in frying pan so most of juice can aborbed.
4. Add ingredients from frying pan into slow cooker and all juices.
5. Add stock
6.Set slowcooker to low for about 5 hours or on high for about 2.5 hours.
7. If you can, stir through a couple of times while cooking and add stock if you think its too dry.
8.About 20mintues before serving add frozen peas and stir through.
9. When rice is tender and there is a good consistency when you stir, not too sloppy and not dry at all its ready. Add the parmesan cheese and stir through.
10. Can splash a bit of balsamic vinegar or add some semi dried tomatoes or fresh pesto.


Taste is sensational! A great recipe for the whole family and is budget friendly.

PANTRY INGREDIENTS
Bacon - can store in freezer
Peas - frozen - could used dried peas though or tin ones (don't like tin myself :P)
Minced garlic  - from the jar
Risotto rice - Arborio

1 comment:

Kate @ Puddles and Gumboots said...

ooh I love anything in a slow cooker popping from Kate Says Stuff :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...