Sunday, September 23, 2012

Mamak Chatswood Review

Last Saturday we headed out to dinner with my husband's sister and her husband. It was suggested that we go to Mamak in Chatswood, on recommendation from my husband. He had a work function here. My sister also checked out reviews for this place and they were all good. We were warned of potential line waiting though, as apparently no reservations are taken.

We arrived around 6:45pm to fine a line that extended down past the kitchen windows. Let me just say, I am not a good line-upper-er! If I see a line for something I will try and work out how to avoid it to the point where I would prefer to do something else if it was available. So, when I saw the line, I suggested we go somewhere else, but the others would not hear of it! So we lined up! However, on the upside we did get to view inside part of their kitchen where they make their famous roti and this makes for good entertainment while you wait.

I think we waited for about 15-20 minutes for a seat, which wasn't that bad after all. It took a little while to get our waitress's attention to order, but once we did dinner came out in next to no time! With the help of the Mamak website, I will be able to give the Malaysian names for our dishes and drinks, otherwise, you would just get the descriptions!!!

 I recommend to drink, you give the cold milo ago which is about $3.50. I drank Limau asis, which is  a lime and syrup drink that was perfect for our balmy evening and only $3.50.  I also was so hungry that I forgot to take pictures of the meals! I'll have to remember this next time!

Entrée

 - Roti Canai ($5.50)with two curry dipping sauces and some sweet onions as well
 - chicken satay skewers 1 dozen($16). These are small so if you are in a group of 4, I highly recommend the full dozen. If you are in a larger group you really should allow for 2-3/person.

Mains 

 My husband had the Sambal udang ($19), which is sambal tiger prawns. They were very tasty with a good bite to them! If you are sensitive to heat of the chilli variety then don't go for these!

I had Rojak ($16) which is a salad that had grated yambean and cucumber, deep fried coconut, tofu, boiled egg, prawn cracker type things with a delicious sweet peanut sauce - different to a satay. I highly recommend this, I ate every last bite, it was so yummy and fresh! I will add that the prawn crackers did have whole mini prawns in them with shell and all! I was a little grossed out at first, but I decided, what the hay and popped them in my mouth. I was pleasantly surprised with the taste.

My SIL had Mee goreng noodles ($11.50) with no spice, and were very tasty and full of flavour.

My BIL had Nasi lemak($8.50) a coconut rice dish  and he chose to have lamb (extra $3) with it

Our whole meal, drinks included,  came to about $90. We had heaps of food and for $45 per couple, that is top value!

I will be going back to Mamak for sure! Keep in mind you will most likely line up, but its worth the wait!

Shop P9, 1-5 Railway Street,
Chatswood 2067
T: (02) 9411 4411

lunch 11:30 - 2:30
dinner 5:30 - 9:30
open til 10:30pm (fri & sat)

www.mamak.com.au

2 comments:

Kaz @ Melting Moments said...

I love personal recommendations for restaurants. We've had too many bad experiences when we just walk in to places that look good from the outside :)
PS. we nominated you for an award:
http://meltingmoments.info/?p=2772

Unknown said...


Hi ! This is my first visit to your blog! Your blog provided us beneficial information to work on.

Glas till iphone 4

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...