Thursday, August 13, 2009

Baked Meatballs


I like to try and time my shopping as best I can so that I can pick up some great discount items. I find that earlier in the morning after the older kids have been dropped off to school works well. I tend to shop at Woolies/Woolworths which is the same as Safeway for Melbournites. I find I can get really good discounts on the meat and dairy for items that are going out of date. I ALWAYS check the used by date when I purchase these items and also check the meat as sometimes they put a discount sticker without checking it and I have seen some disgusting things! I won't go into any details. Anyway, when I get home I usually put all the discounted meat into the freezer unless I know I will be using it that night. I have also picked up some yoghurt, custard, fresh juice and other dairy products that have a best before at least 5 or 6 days to go. So don't be weary of the discounted items, check the dates and if you think your family can consume them, buy them especially when they can be so much cheaper.


The other day I picked up some pork and veal mince which had been discounted by almost $3 to only $4 and this is what I used this evening for our baked meatballs. It was super easy to make and I used my dried herbs(not the ones I have done myself, which I will post later) and what I had on hand. So this could easily be used for a food storage recipe. If you can't find pork and veal, you can usually get pork, veal, or lamb only mince and all these varieties are fairly inexpensive.


Ingredients


600g Pork or Pork and Veal mince


2 eggs beaten


2 tablespoons of uncooked rice


dried herbs of choice


Whole jar of Passata(usually 750ml) or 2 jars of tomato pasta sauce (500ml/g)


Salt and pepper


1 - 2 Cups of cheese (could mix tasty and parmasen)


Oven to 180 degrees C


Procedure


1.Mix the mince and herbs together


2. Beat eggs in a seperate bowl and add to mince


3. Add rice and mix through


4. Season with salt and pepper


5. Grease baking dish with oil spray


6. Roll mince into meatballs and line on dish


7. Pour Passata or sauce all over meatballs so they are all covered


8. Put into oven and bake for 25mins


9. Take out and sprinkle cheese over meatballs


10. Back into the oven until cheese has melted and browned approx 15-20mins.
Makes 11 medium sized meatballs.



I served ours with mashed potato but you can easily put with pasta, rice, salad, steamed veges, whatever you like or have! The whole meal cost about $10 at the most. I love oregano so sprinkled a little on the cheese before I put it in the oven.


I find Passata can be bitter or bland, which is why I used the two jars of pasta sauce as they hold more flavour. If you do use Passata, which is just crushed and pureed tomatoes, check if the seeds are present in the jar, tomato seeds are bitter and will make your sauce bitter too. If using passata I would suggest you add some onion flakes, garlic granules (or fresh if your prefer) and herbs to taste and even a little bit of sugar to balance out the flavours. Be sure to check the sauce when you take it out of the oven and see if you need to add anything else before you add the cheese.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...