Friday, November 25, 2011

THERMOCHEF vs Thermomix TM31 vs HotMix PRO

I was just reading through some recent comments on my blog and noticed some new names popping of new machines that appears to be in the market to compete with the Thermomixer. I was so excited because, for me now there is more to choose from with machines that are comparable. Without anothre thought, I quickly order take out for dinner and began researching!! Kids love it when I am researching {wink}.



So from what I can gather, not seeing a Thermochef in the flesh as yet and limited, for now, and not having near as many demos on Youtube compared to Thermomixer. I am intrigued. It think the biggest draw card at this stage is definately the price. Its around $800AUD with a 2 year warranty. Wow! What a delight to be able to have an amazing cooking machine for less than $1000. The moment I laid eyes on this machine, I straight away thought of the Thermomixer TM21. Yes, they seemed to have copied this model fairly well, although the Thermochef is stainless steel in apprearance. The thermomixer has a stainless steel jug but the rest of it is a hard plastic. The size of the jug is the same as the thermomix, so for me, still not a bonus. I would love a 3 or 4 L jug please! It weighs your food, to the side. The Thermomix does it in the jug. Does it matter? Not sure really, I would say it would come down to a personal preference. If you have not had a thermomixer before you would not no the difference.  The controls are a touch pad, not a dial. Not thinking this a big issue in the long run. The Thermochef has a steamer much like the thermomixer, but not is stainless steel and not plastic like the one on the Thermomixer. Could this be a safety issue? Youtube has a few demonstrations, one in particular is for pumpkin soup, and for me, it was not too bad. My only thought was that perhaps the Thermomixer would have made the soup silky smooth, but this is only a minor thing and as I don't actually own a thermomixer can't comment on this outcome.  The more I read, the more I wanted to know. So I decided to head over to the Thermomix forums to see what the guys and gals over there think of this. Naturally, there are some fairly defensive comparisons. I have to wonder, are they a little annoyed that there is something available at the fraction of the cost? There are some differences, for sure. Only one could assume it would not be exactly the same for that price. A lot of comments on the forums were, " You can what you pay for" and " I am worried because its made in China".
Let's think for a moment about what the price of a Thermomixer would actually be if it was sold in a mainstream department store or other large outlets? Would it actually be the same price? I personally, think it would not. I would say it would be more like $1200-$1500. The price you are paying for a Thermomix also includes the demonstrators commission. Generally speaking if something is being sold via party plan, it generally is much more expensive than if it was sold in the shops. The point I am making here, is that the cost of $800 is what it is, because it needs to appeal to all consumers, so it doesn't necessarily mean, that you are getting an inferior product. The machine is also assembled in China, but it has been designed in Switzerland. Who doesn't have things made and assembled in China? There are many machines,appliances, whitegoods etc that are designed in European, American, and Australasian countries but assembled in China.Just because something is assembled in China, doesn't mean it is less valuable, or not good. They assemble to the design.  I also understood that the TC(Thermochef) is a little slower and doesn't reverse.I'm not to worried about it being a little slower. It still grinds, crushes ice, and mills. In regards to the reverse action, for an avid and loyal Thermomixer user, I could see why this would be an issue. However, for someone that doesn't know any better, I couldn't see it being a problem. Why do you NEED to have the reverse action?  What I got from reading the forum thread, was basically the Thermomixer lovers will stay true to their machines. Why not, they paid a bundle for them, I would too. I would be a little shocked if you turned your back on this great machine for the TC. I think the market for the TC are for those (like me) that have struggled to purchase a Thermomixer because of the price. The TC will do almost everything a TM31 can do. The TC from what I can gather from the internet would be a better purchase than a Viatmix and even a Kenwood Cooking Chef as its a bit smaller and more compact than the Kenwood Cooking Chef.  If I could have the capacity bowl of the Kenwood Cooking Chef and the machine of a Thermomixer for the ThermoChef price, all the boxes would be ticked and I would sing its praises!!!

I am very keen to see a ThermoChef in action. For the kinds of things I would like to make, I think it would suit me very well. I still prefer to use my slow cooker because it has a capacity for my family. But the TC will make things like custards, sorbets, sauces, breads, drinks, mill, spice mixes, cook rice, steam and so on. It makes sense to me to check it out for that price, I can definately justify it. My husband once said, " If the Thermomixer was under $1000 it would be ok." I wonder if he will remember this conversation??!!!

Check out the ThermoChef and see what you think. At the end of the day, its up to you, you are paying for it.

A comment was left mentioning a HotMix Pro. Natutally, curiousity got the better of me and I Googled it. This machine looks and sounds amazing. Like a Thermomixer, but perosnally I thought it looked a lot sleeker in style and definately better in function. I read the details on the website and basically realised that his is a commerical product with a commercial price. A site that I found was selling them for 1850GBP, which for us aussies is approx $2500AUD. So a little more expensive than a Thermomixer but a much better machine in my opinion. I'm curious to know if they will have a domestic version soon? It wouldn't take much to make a domestic version, and provide this market with more competition. Check out some of the demos on youtube, but word of warning use "HotMix Pro System" as your search request!!
If anyone knows more about the HotMix Pro system, would love to hear from you.


Well, there you go, what I know about the ThermoChef, Thermomixer TM31, and the HotMix Pro System. Three great cooking machines and I hope you consider my opinion and research yourself or tell me your own experiences with any of these machines. I am still yet to decide on and purchase a cooking system, but I will definately blog about it when I do!

19 comments:

HotmixPRO said...

"If anyone knows more about the HotMix Pro system, would love to hear from you."

Here is the producing company, feel free to ask whatever you want, we are willing to help people to understand this product. :)

Stewart said...

Thanks for your comprehensive blog on the various thermo mixers.

HotMix Australia are the importers and distributors of the HotMix products in Australia.

The main differences between the units are that the HotMix "Gastro" has a maximum temperature range of between 25 deg and 190 degC, the benefits of this is that you can caramalise sugars, this unit also has a powerful 1500watt motor and SD card programability, (1GB card Supplied), insulated cooking chamber no chance of burning, degree by degree control for example if you select 126deg C then that is what you get, 23 speed including 2 x pulse speeds and a Turbo, maximum revolutions are 12500 and full stainless steel construction, alternatively, there is available the HotMix "EASY" this unit has a painted steel case, non programmable, 1300watt motor and maximum temperature of 130deg C, max RPM 10000, both units also has a 2 year warranty and is avaliable in Australia for more info check out our website at www.hotmixpro.com.au

MrFrugii said...

I have had a Barbel thermomixer for the past eight years or so, and it finally gave up on me a few weeks ago. I researched all the thermomixers available but ended up with the HotMixPro Gastro. The reasons were that the Gastro is a professional grade machine, has a far stronger motor, much faster blade speed, and is programmable! I have been using my machine for a week or so now and am extremely happy with what it can do.

Stewart said...

Hi MrFrugii, thanks for your comments, left info for the contact in Melbourne that you suggested that I call upon, not in. Glad that you are happy with your HotMixPRO GASTRO, Enjoy

BookChook said...

I've seen the Thermomix information, and I'm delighted to read of other options here. I can't justify that huge price, and just hope that competition and aggressive marketing will make the machines both more affordable, and more useful (larger jugs etc).

Anonymous said...

How much do the HotMix retail for in Australia? I looked at the listed website, no mention of price...

Mickey said...

I tried to research the Thermomix, and subscribed to the newsletter to see if there was a demo near me. I live in a regional city, and until recently, there were no demos.
I read about the Thermochef on a forum, and tried to research it too. No stockists near me. Then I was channel-surfing one weekend and saw it was on the shopping channel. That was the nearest I came to either before I made my decision.
Horses for courses. A cost/benefit analysis for me led to purchasing a Thermochef from an online kitchen store. I have a Kitchen Aid mixer, blender and food processor, and only one of my four children still lives at home. I could afford a Thermomix, but couldn't justify paying 143% more. (I was an Accountant, before child #3).
I have had the Thermochef for four weeks. Among the things I've made: soups, scones, dips, Anzacs, brownies risottos, and a few of the steamed whole meal recipes. I am very happy with my purchase.

Stewart said...

Hi Anonymous, the Hotmix "GASTRO" retails for $2395.00 + GST and the entry level "EASY" retails for $1895.00 + GST, we have dealers in all states

Genna said...

Hotmix do a EasyPro version which is a much cheaper option. It is not stailess steel but painted. It retails at below 1000gbp. Barbel are destributers of the Hotmix pro range also and offer excellent service.

Anonymous said...

With a commission of $220 per machine the Thermomix Consultants are poorly paid for their hard work. Most do it as they have a love of the product and a passion for easy healthy. I would love to see a retail store that would accept that as a profit margin on $1939. And yes I own a Thermomix, love it - and use the Steaming part all the time - not just to steam my meat and vegetables but to make things like baked cheesecakes!

Judie said...

Yes I think party plan have the ability to offer you a better deal because they are not paying for word of mouth. Thermomix have this thing where u can buy a second tm bowl. But I have made food in it that fed 6 ppl np. If u make the bowl too big it's harder to clean and move with just one hand.

Anonymous said...

Yes with the party plan you get one on one service. Also the Consultant supplies 90% of the ingredients that you eat and get to keep. Not to mention the time it takes to do a demonstration approx 4 hrs also the ongoing service you get after you have bought a Thermomix. You can also buy parts if required or just for spares. I doubt other products would offer all that, the sales assistant certainly wouldn't appreciate a phone call from a customer needing help! Insave about $50 a week on food and i have 4 kids plus my hubby. I have developed a great friendship with my Thermomix consultant. Well done Thermomix for providing a great service and an amazing machine.

Anonymous said...

I am a Thermomix user and I love my Thermomix of course. I am wondering how long the ThermoChefs will last for.. only time will tell which is the better purchase.
I imagine that due to Thermomix not advertising on television etc nad very minimal printed advertising, They can afford to use that marketing expense to pay the sales consultants. Who do a very good job. If your consultant has disappeared(?) call head office nad they will find you another active one!
Also how many recipes are available online and in books for Thermochef I wonder.. not sure.
My pensioner father said last week. The old fellas go to the hardware store and buy the German product which is a higher price. The young fellas buy the cheaper brand. The old ones know that the German made products will last twice as long as the other brands! Thanks dad!

Anonymous said...

Segnalo che il thermochef ha il boccale piu grande: 3,5 Lt
รจ magnificoooooo
ciao a tutti

Anonymous said...

I find it interested that you are comparing machines when you haven't actually tried or tested any of them ?

Anonymous said...

Sally
I also have a Thermomix and I love it I did my homework before I purchased and decided to go with this high quality product who's company has been in the market for some 40 years ...... As you mentioned The TC is very similar to the TM21 this is a 20 year old technology...... The features such as reverse that the TC does not have allows the machine to stir the food using the smooth side of the blade and not cut allowing for chunkier soups like minestrone and chicken sweet corn soup some of my families favorites. The scales are one of the most highly used functions of the Thermomix, to be able to tare and add additional ingrediance as required is extremely advantageous other wise if you have to weigh them seperatly you may as well just use a set of ordinary scales that sit on your bench. The ongoing support is essential to getting the most out of your device my consultant comes to my house and gives me and my friends cooking classes and sends me great new recipe ideas to try and she is only a phone call away........ 6 of my girlfriends also have Thermomix's and we love to exchange recipies and ideas they are all really happy with theirs too I do not know of anyone who has ended up getting the TC or another machine either. I have used my almost every single day to prepare beautiful wholesome food for my family of 5, with 3 grown athlete sons and a hungry husband it has made my job not only enjoyable but health varied and easy. Sure there are cheaper models coming onto the market but there are cheap models of every appliance I had an expensive coffee machine when it came time to replace it I purchased a cheaper one, I made 2 coffees in it and returned it to the store and went and replaced it with the upgraded Model of my previous one because it was a much better quality machine you can purchase a $50 mixer on a stand or an $750 kitchen pro some people would think they did much the same but they don't ....... For anyone looking at theses types of appliances I would highly recommend a Thermomix I am a very happy customer and every thing I make in it turns out lovely :0)

Anonymous said...

How can you review 3 machines and say any of them are better, worse or better value for money without using and seeing them in action personally?

FoodMuster said...

True I may not have seen 'all' machines personally in action, but I have seen then on youtube and what some websites offer. My reviews are from my perspective as a potential purchaser and these are my thoughts as I have considered all machines. Thanks for your comment.

Anonymous said...

I do not understand why so many people feel it necessary "to shoot the messenger". FM, I stumbled across your blog whilst researching the cheaper vs thermomix and had not heard of the HotMix before reading your reviews. I will be saving a few extra dollars to purchase the HotMix top of the line. I have enjoyed what I have read so far, and will peruse with a coffee when more time permits. The shared secrets on the train had me laughing out loud. Take care, love your work.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...