Friday, August 6, 2010

So I have Yoghurt and Flour.....

I was very suprised when I found out that greek yoghurt had a pretty good shelf life. I purchased some recently and realised I could keep it in my fridge for over a month! So what can you do with it and why would you keep it for so long? Well, if you plan your meals on a fortnightly or even monthly basis, its good to know that you can purchase your greek yoghurt, particularly if its on special and have it sit in your fridge for a little while. Greek yohgurt it good for to have with fruit or in smoothies. But I bet a lot of you may not think you can make a good savoury meal from it with just a bit of flour!

I came across this recipe in a super food ideas magazine a couple of years ago. I have since lost the actual recipe but I have continued to make it and everyone in my family still love it. The best thing about this recipe is you can put whatever you want in it. Its based on a turkish gozleme and is a little similar to the italian calzone. Its very basic and inexpensive and you can make it as a main meal or finger food for a party, its very versatile. Anyway, heres the recipe and unfortunately, I forgot to take a pic of my final product the last time I made them, but I will do it next time!!

Yummy Gozleme

Dough
2 cups plain flour
500g plain greek yoghurt

Filling
200-250g greek feta crumbled
1/2 cup mixed grated cheese (tasy, mozerella, parmasen - whatever you like)
1/2 cup baby spinach leaves chopped
1/4 cup baby rocket chopped
salt and pepper to taste

Method
1.Combine flour and yoghurt until sticky dough forms. It will be rather sticky, but just add a little bit of flour at a time, but not too much. Allow to stand for 10 mins.


2. Mix all filling ingredients in a bowl.

3. Take some dough about the size of a tennis ball and roll (with a rolling pin) out flat until its about 10mm thick. Add some filling on one side and fold over so you have a half(semi)-circle and squish sides. Continue until dough and filling is used up. 

When I took the photos, I made two large ones, which is why my dough looks rather large. Basically, you can make them any size you want to. I also didn't roll it thin enough, make sure the dough is thin so it cooks well.



4. Heat pan on medium heat and add some olive oil and cook each gozleme until golden brown.



5. Serve imediately so that the cheese is yummy and melted! Enjoy.

I haven't tried to freeze the yoghurt and see if it can still be used in this recipe, but if someone does let me know if it works, because that would be even better as a long term recipe. Its such an easy recipe and so different. The versatility also comes with the freedom of  adding whatever you like or whatever you have. I usually make these vegetarian style and I like adding semi dried tomatoes, roast capsicum and other yummy vegetables but you could add mince meat, chicken pieces or BBQ chicken, salami, chorizo, ham, anything!!!

I have re-heated these the next day in a foccacia/sandwich press.

Hope you like it:)

* I have just realised, that I have given this meal a turkish name and used *greek* yoghurt and *greek* feta. A truly multicultral meal if I do say so myself!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi... I'm your newest follower.

Marissa said...

oh wow, that looks GOOD! Yum, thanks for sharing :)

Brownieville Girl said...

Looks wonderful ... I have discovered a fantastic new Greek Yoghurt (here in Ireland) and am obsessed with finding new ways to use it ... thanks so much for this idea.

Delighted to be folling you now.

Natasha in Oz said...

I love this recipe. That magazine is excellent isn't it! I will have to remember this-thanks for sharing it.

Best wishes and happy week,
Natasha.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...