Wednesday, September 14, 2011

I dreamed a dream! It was Caramel Fudge Brownie Slice.....and it was so Awesome!

You know you must be a foodie when you dream about food almost as much as anything else!! I had this dream a few weeks ago. I have been wanting to make something new, something amazing, something that everyone can't say no to. So I went to bed thinking about this one night and a dreamed this amazing dream. I dreamt about a caramel slice because its one of my most favouritest slices (bars for the Americans!) and I make often, but not too much becuase its super sweet and super rich. This time however, the caramel slice was not the same. This was in a good way, this time the layers of the caramel were nolonger, the biscuit base, the caramel and the choc top. This time it was chocolate fudge brownie, caramel and chocolate ganache on top. Wow! What a combination, I so had to make this as soon as it was possible.

Last weekend I had a family gathering to attend and quite uncannily I was asked to bring a caramel slice. It had to be fate! I did not question myself, I had to make my new creation. So I did and it was well received. This was my first attempt and as per usual, I realised I needed to tweak it a bit more. I used dark chocolate for the brownie and then dark chocolate again for the ganache. Next time I will try milk chocolate for the ganache so that the bitterness of the dark chocolate is not so over powering and maybe a bit more brown sugar in my caramel. Anyway, I am sure if you try this recipe you will tweak it your way too. If you do, contact me, let me know what you did, and how it went for you.


 The Recipe?

I would suggest if you have a favourite fudge brownie use that recipe or you can easily use a packet brownie mix.  I personally like Donna Hay's easy brownie recipe or Hummingbird Bakery's recipe if I am making from scratch. Otherwise my packet mix preference is Betty Crocker.

Use a large rectangular baking pan, I used a 34cm x 23cm and it had a depth of 4cm. As the brownie is the botton layer, you want it not too thick and not too thin. A max of 2cm thick is a guide. Lightly spray pan with oil and line with baking paper. The oil allows the paper to stick and stay in one place, which is so much easier when you are pouring the batter.

Bake your brownie until cooked through and leave to cool completely.

Caramel

50g butter

1/4 cup brown sugar - I am tempted to do 1/2 cup next time I make mine.

1x 395g can of sweeten condensed milk - best to use whole milk and not skim.

Method

Melt butter and sugar together stirring slowly and consistantly. Add sweetened condensed milk and continue stirring until mixture combines, browns, and thickens. When mixture bubbles and comes away from edges as you stir, this means its ready.

Add caramel to cooled brownie and set in fridge for about 1-2hours. You could also put it in the freezer for about 20-40mins, if you were short on time.

Before serving make ganache which is 200g of chocolate and 1/3 cup full fat cream. Melt together in a bowl that is sitting over simmering water. When melted and combined pour over caramel and allow to cool and set.

Serve in small pieces, as its a rich slice.

Pantry Ingredients
Brownie packet mix if you choose
chocolate pieces - I always use Cadbury Chocolate buttons(dark or milk)
sugar - white or brown
flour
baking powder
sweetened condensed milk
tetra cream - found in your supermarket near where jelly, custard etc are. I used fresh cream this time because I had some on hand. I have used tetra cream in other recipes before and been very happy with it.

3 comments:

Felicity said...

hahaha - this made laugh! You are definitely a foodie when you're creating new recipes while you sleep!! Looks delicious!!!! xo

Lisa jay said...

Oh my word, why can't I have dreams like this?! and why hasn't caramel slice always been made this way? Perfection!

Rekha Gupta said...

At Dream Thanks for this amazing content.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...