Sunday, August 2, 2009

SWEET SENSATIONS!!!!


Ok, this one is more of a welfare food storage kind of recipe. All the ingredients you should be able to find on hand if you store basic ingredients like sugar and honey. I love my macadamias! They are a good source of fibre and are healthy when eaten raw. However, after having them raw for so long, I had a packet in my storage cupboard and thought I would spruce them up a bit for a healthy/naughty treat!!! Its funny how we can justify these kinds of things to ourselves! But macadamias are so good for you, it just so happens they are smothered in delectable sugarlicious toffee!!! Anyway, its a good thing to make when you want something sweet, or need something quick to give as a visiting teaching treat.


One more thing before I start, I tend not to measure things when I am making it up as I go, so I have done my best to give an estimate on the amounts, you may want to add more/less if you think it needs it.


Ingredients


1 Cup white sugar (i have made up my own vanilla sugar and used this)

120g butter

1/4 cup honey

500g macadamias (or whatever you like)

Icing mixture to dust


Iced water handy so you can check for soft/hard ball stage

Baking tray with aluminum foil on base and sprayed very lightly with oil.



Procedure


1. Melt butter over medium heat in a medium saucepan.

2. Add sugar and stir until dissolved

3.Keep stirring and add honey

4. When all the ingredients are melt and mixed together keep stirring and add nuts.

5.You will need to keep stirring for a good 10-15mins, if you don't the mixture will stick and burn to your saucepan and its a killer to clean off!!

6. The mixture will turn a caramel colour and thicken. After about 10-12mins use your spoon to take a little mixture and drop into iced water. Taste it to see if it crunches in your mouth, even if its a hard on the outside but still a little chewy on the inside its ready. If you have a thermometer its hard crack stage and whatever that is in degrees.

7. Pour mixture onto foil and spread the nuts apart a little with a fork.

8. I put mine into the freezer so it could set straight away, otherwise put it in the fridge until set, this could take up to half an hour.

9. Dust some icing mixture into a container and crack piece of toffee into the container. It will be a little sticky so when all the pieces are in, put the lid on and shake it about! The icing sugar stops the stickyness.

10. Enjoy your macadamia toffee!!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...