Sunday, December 2, 2012

Waiter my Ranch Dressing is green! Wasabi or Jalapeno?


Well. if you are up for a spicy but not on-fire salad dressing or dip, then this is the one for you. Personally, I'm a very big fan of jalapenos, well the pickled variety and almost anything  that is jalapeno flavoured. I like the bite that doesn't burn like red chili can. I'm also a fan of wasabi and I also love wasabi peas. While both wasabi and jalapeƱo sauce are both green in appearance there is no way you could confuse their flavours. Wasabi is actually not a chili and is not an oil based food, like jalapenos and other chilies. So while wasabi gives a bite that can burn your nasal passage and clear your sinus, it does not last and linger like the jalapeno can.
The reason why I bring these two foods up, is that a friend, who shares the love of wasabi and in particular wasabi peas, told me about a restaurant in America that did wasabi ranch dressing. Whoa! Hold up! I would never have thought to do such a thing, but brilliance is all I can say. How awesome would that be, one of my favourite pastes married with one of my favourite dressings? Anyway since then I have not managed a trip to America to experience this perfect union of hot paste and dressing in person,  but I have been meaning to re-create this at home.

This evening, I felt like attempting this, but as I didn't have wasabi paste on hand I decided to try the Tabasco jalapeno sauce instead, and people, this is awesome stuff ! What a combination, and yes it turns your ranch an interesting shade of green! I used it for a dipping sauce for chicken nuggets, but this could be used for a your favourite salad, raw vegetable platter, chips or crackers, chicken wraps, steak, and so on! You must try!

Jalapeno Ranch Dressing
1 Cup ranch dressing
2-4 drops (or more if as desired) of Tabasco (or similar brand) Jalapeno sauce

Mix the two together, refridgerate for at least 20 mins and stir before your serve.

* if you are after a thicker dip, you can add 1/4 cup sour cream and 1/4 cup mayo to the ranch, but keep in fridge for at least 1 hour or more before serving.

Sorry about the photo, I had to use my Ipad and it was at night, so not the best, but you should be able to see the tint of green.



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...